Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 68/365 The Secret of Success


The poster above is by a German artist, Oskar Graf, born in 1870, living until 1955, the same year I was born. No particular reason for posting it except I like it, and it fits nicely with a book I listed tonight: The Real Art of Japanese Management by Miyamoto Musashi.

I list boxes and boxes of books every week, and usually end up partially reading most of them. As a result I have a mind full of trivia and odd bits of knowledge (which leads to me popping up in conversations with "Hey I read a book on that.....", sortof like a Jill-of-all-trades). My friends tolerate this, for some reason.

It turns out that Mr. Musashi has the 9 rules of a winning strategy, and they appear to apply to more than just Japanese management:

1. Do not harbor sinister designs.

2. Diligently pursue the Path-of-Two-Swords-as-One (I admit for this one, I needed to read more of the book).

3) Cultivate a wide range of interests in the arts.

4. Be knowledgeable in a variety of occupations.

5. Be discrete regarding one's commercial dealings.

6. Nurture the ability to perceive the truth in all matters.

7. Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.

8. Do not be negligent, even in trifling matters.

9. Do not engage in useless activity.

Herein Lies the Secret of Success in Life.

My favorite is #7. And #8. And #6.

Okay I like them all, even the Two Sword one.

No comments:

Post a Comment