Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day 86/365 Can I Get A Witness?


I find myself going off on a music tangent lately, and while everyone else is dealing with Conficker computer worms, and silly April Fools jokes, I just realized today marks the 25th anniversary of the death of Marvin Gaye.

Next to the four British boys, Marvin is my favorite. His music ends up playing in my office at least a couple times a week, and remains timeless, meaning I've probably heard every song he recorded a thousand times, and yet, the next time I listen I still hear something new.

Miss you, Marvin. You left us way too soon.

April 1st is mostly remarked upon for the tradition of jokes and pranks, and for that reason it's my least favorite holiday -I'm not a big joke player. Nevertheless, April 1st carries it's own historical memories:

1789 - In New York City, the U.S. House of Representatives meets for the very first time. (Yes, some of those same bills are *still* being debated I'm sure).

1918 - The British Royal Air Force is established (thanks to World War I).

1933- The Nazi's pick this date to close Jewish businesses (and my mom is 11 days old).

1946 - One hundred and seventy people are killed in the Hawaiian Islands, by tidal waves (this is the occasion of the famous picture of Hilo's harbor with no water -it had been momentarily sucked out to sea, and was about to come back as a monstrous tidal wave).

1960- TIROS-1 was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida. It's our very first weather satellite, a little late to track that 1946 tsunami in Hawaii. It could only operate in daylight, and wasn't pointed at earth all the time, but it was a start. What was it's first picture transmission? The coast of Maine. (I mean really, where else?)

By an odd coincidence, this is also the date (in 1875) that Charles Darwin's cousin, James Galton, created and published the very first newspaper weather map in The London Times.

And he did not mention the weather in Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment