Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 137/365 Mississippi Turning

Recently I did a couple postings about some of the most grim moments of the Civil Rights movement, infamous moments like the killing of three men in Neshoba County, Mississippi.

I am delighted to report that the same year we have our first black president, Philadelphia, Mississippi (in the heart of Neshoba County) has elected it's first black mayor, James Young. According to CNN "Despite a 55 percent white majority, Young defeated Rayburn Waddell, a white, three-term incumbent, by the slim margin of 46 votes."

Meaning some of the white folks voted for him.

Mayor-elect Young will be sworn in this weekend, the Fourth of July.

I believe Neshoba Country is on its way to redemption.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog this morning, and I feel like I have found a like-minded soul. I love the concept of your 365 days, your humor, and your writing.

    I'll be back,

    Laura

    whitespraypaint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete