Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 216/365 Your Mission...Should You Decide To Accept It

Like any self-respecting child of the Sixties, I grew up in the shadow of the ever-present Cold War, complete with visions of espionage that were reinforced by The Man From U.N.C.L.E., I Spy, Mission Impossible, James Bond and, of course, John Steed and the delightful Mrs. Peel also known as The Avengers.


In honor of my infatuation with spies and all things spy-ish, I dragged myself out of bed at 4 A.M. this morning to accompany my daughter and her fellow science camp inmates on a one day field trip to the International Spy Museum in Washington D.C.

It was my second trip, and I still love it. (In a previous life, I may or may not have been Mrs. Emma Peel, black leather cat-suit and all.)

This museum covers espionage from the ancient times and ninjas through the Civil War Pigeon Cameras and World War II...


All the way past 007's actual car (complete with changing license plate, machine gun headlights and bulletproof spoiler)....


and right on past the KGB Lipstick Pistol, circa 1965 (if I could get one of these, I'd wear makeup).

Here's me at the Spy Museum.....oh alright, it's not me...it's Mata Hari, executed by the French for espionage on October 15, 1917.

I'd show you pics of us at the Spy Museum, but then I'd have to shoot ya.
All images courtesy of The International Spy Museum, Washington D.C.

1 comment:

  1. We went the to the spy museum a few years ago and it is awesome (and right up Jessie's alley). Hey, maybe she should go to work as a spy:) I was amazed at the resemblance between you and Mata Hari!

    ReplyDelete